Sunday, June 21, 2009

Finally summer?

Happy Sunday and happy father's day everyone. Hope you are enjoying a day of rest with your loved ones.

Last night, I had dinner at my brother's with Brendan, Annie (who was visiting for a few days) and Philippe. It was really nice to sit outside, enjoy appies and white wine, and catch up with siblings. We talked about work, living arrangements (both sales are final, only waiting for the visit to the notary in late July) as Annie is renting the top floor of the duplex and wanted to know what the place was like. After dinner, we walked over to my brother's neighours place to watch the fireworks. Now that is an activity that makes it feel like it's finally summer. I love watching fireworks. We couldn't see all of them, our view was blocked by a building, but enough to make it magic and enjoyable.

According to the weather forecast, we are heading towards some really nice and warm days. Could it be that the summer is finally here? The Montreal Jazz Festival is only a few weeks away, I can't wait to go listen to a few free outdoors show. Moving back to Montreal means that I get to enjoy all this summer activity. So far, I can't say that I have spent much time outside, work is keeping me really busy and the weather wasn't always cooperating. Hopefully the tide is turning.

I will probably have to work Wednesday, even though it's Saint-Jean-Baptiste. I have a deadline at the end of the month and there is still a lot of work to complete until then. What I am hoping is that I can take July 1-3 off instead (I also worked Victoria Day, so that would be two days I can get in lieu of) and make it an extra long weekend at the chalet. Work on the second chalet has begun, and I can't wait to get into work boots, grab a hammer and built stuff. My father is building a green chalet next to our existing chalet. This second chalet will be completely off the grid (like the first one) but will also use a "puit canadien" (geothermal system) to help cool / warm the place, and solar panels for electricity, obviously. I'm excited to be able to help build this place. It will be a nice change of pace from the long days spent in front of the computer.

No comments: